Interview: Reggae Fusion Singer/Songwriter Chaant
His family, friends and chaanters know he is the NEXT BIG THING in the music industry. In other words, they expect big things from Singer/Songwriter Chaant, who has already started to impact his fans/chaanters with his style of music. We caught up with him to learn as much as we can about him AND his music.
1. Why did you choose to use the name CHAANT as your stage name? When people think of my music I want them to be inspired, to feel positive and to be captivated. I want my music to be a CHAANT in people’s hearts and minds especially when times and things are rough. The name ‘CHAANT’ is a reflection of rhythmic, captivating Jamaican music, especially ‘culture music’ carrying a message of love and hope.
2. How long have you been doing music? I have been doing music from as early as primary (elementary) school, but professionally, over the past 14 years.
3. Do you specialize in a particular musical genre? My foundation genre is Reggae, but truthfully I also explore ‘fusions’ of Reggae … (meaning, reggae and other genres combined).
4. What motivates your brand of music? My motivation comes from my own life experiences, as well as from observation of others from all walks of life. I have also been motivated ‘creatively’ by my favourite singers and players of instruments.
5. Have you ever been a member of any band? If yes, tell us which band, what period of your music career were you a member and what productions did the band release then. I was a member of an inspirational reggae group called I-manii, which begun in the early 2000’s. The group released only one album titled “Be Loving You”.
6. Are you and independent artiste or are you currently signed to a record label? I am an independent artiste.
7. Do you do music full-time, if no; kindly share how you balance you music career with your other professional commitments? Unfortunately music is not full-time for me right now as I do have a day job. The balance of both is challenging and only possible when I create weekly schedules for myself, and try my best to follow them.
8. You recently introduced your new single, SUNSHINE on social media, how soon will it be available for purchase and where? My single ‘SUNSHINE’ will be available for purchase on TuneCore within 3 weeks and at other online stores to be announced shortly after.
9. What other projects are you currently working on and how soon can we look out for the release of these songs? The team is working on a music video for ‘SUNSHINE’ set for release shortly. Also, we expect to release another single within a month.
10. When can we expect the release of your first solo EP or LP? My team is aiming to release an EP by autumn this year.
11. We are aware that you have done numerous live shows in Japan. How did that impact your personal development as an artiste and how responsive was your audience? Performing for Jamaicans is one thing, but performing for an audience from a different culture is a totally different thing. There are certain expectations for each show especially because of cultural differences. The shows have helped me focus more on improving stage presence, practicing how to ‘work’ the stage more, as well as interacting more with my audience. I think the audiences were very responsive, mainly because I sang about ‘love’, which is a universal emotion and experience.
12. What can your fans expect from you in 2018? My ‘friends and CHAANTers’ (as I prefer to call them) can expect greater and greater love songs from CHAANT to rock their world, and inspire even stronger relationships in 2018. There will also be free giveaways from time to time, so I encourage them to follow me on Facebook and my other social media sites.
13. How can producers, promoters and your fans find you on social media? On Facebook, they can find me at chaantmusiq, they may also send me private messages on the chaantmusiq Facebook page and on SoundCloud at Chaantmusiq.
14. What encouragement do you have for talented persons who are contemplating a music career? Follow your heart and go after your dreams, but do it with wisdom. Ensure that you learn as much as possible about the music business while you pursue your career.
- See CHAANT’s BIOGRAPHY to learn more about the man and his music.
- Follow Chaant’s Facebook Page for updates!
- Listen to Chaant’s music on SoundCloud
To book Chaant for your upcoming events/projects:
- Telephone: (011+81) 70-4450-5524
- Email: email@example.com