Dancehall Artiste Purpleman Returns to Dancehall
Many music lovers prefer dancehall music from back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and I must confess that while I enjoy and appreciate current songs by various artistes, I am practically stuck in the era of dancehall singers such as Nicodemus, Super Cat, Jose Whales, Charley Chaplin, Shabba Ranks, Eeka Mouse, Purpleman and a host of others.
There are some who will release a few new songs or albums periodically to remain current in the arena. One such artiste is the versatile and talented dancehall deejay/toaster from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s era Purpleman, who stepped away from the mic due to illness and now 100 percent healthy, he returns to studio for the first time in thirty years for a brand new album.
Purpleman was born Peter Jones in Waterhouse, Kingston Jamaica, but currently resides in Manchester. The original veteran Deejay, who is of an albino complexion, first started deejaying in 1974 on a sound system owned by his uncle.
In an interview with him, we learned the following:
1. What are your hobbies? CHILLING WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND PLANTING SOME FRUITS AND VEGETABLES AS WELL.
2. When did you start deejaying professionally?
I STARTED PROFESSIONALLY RECORDING IN 1978. I BEEN DEEJAYING ON SOUND SYSTEMS SINCE 1973 AS A TEENAGER AND WAS HEARD BY PRODUCER KING JAMMYS WHO TOOK ME TO STUDIO AND RECORDED MY FIRST ALBUM PETER YELLOW “HOT”…I WAS NEVER REALLY INTERESTED IN STUDIO AT FIRST I JUST LOVE SOUND SYSTEM AND TOASTING AT A DANCE BUT THE PRODUCERS WHEN THEY HEARD ME IN DANCE HAD DIFFERENT IDEAS…THE REST IS HISTORY THEY SAY LOL.
3. What motivated your decision to do music?
MY UNCLE HAD A SOUND SYSTEM IN HIS YARD THAT I USED TO DEEJAY ON AS A SMALL YUTE (10 YEARS OLD) AND I REMEMBER THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD USED TO GATHER AT MY GATE TO HEAR ME…MUSIC FOR ME WAS A INBORN THING YOU KNOW JUST A BLESSING I RECEIVE FROM MOST HIGH.
4. Which local and international singer/s influenced your style of music? GENERAL ECHO, SUGAR MINOTT AND NICODEMUS (DEMUS ACTUALLY GAVE ME THE NAME PURPLEMAN AND I WOULD CONSIDER HIM MY TEACHER).
5. Do you play any instruments? I DON’T PLAY ANY INSTRUMENTS, MY INSTRUMENT IS JUST A MICROPHONE IN HAND LOL
6. What musical genre do you perform? RUB A DUB DANCEHALL AND ROOTS MUSIC
7. Do you write your own songs?
I DON’T EVEN WRITE HONESTLY, ALL MY LYRICS IS OFF TOP OF MY HEAD, WHATEVER THE RIDDIM TELLS ME TO CHANT THAT’S WHAT I CHANT.
8. Which producers have you worked with to date? KING JAMMYS, STRIKER LEE, CHANNEL ONE, HENRY JUNJO LAWES, NINEY THE OBSERVER, STUDIO MIX, JAH LIFE AND NOW SAUNJAY “TRIPLE ACE” KERR.
9. Name some of the songs you have recorded to date. FIRST SINGLE WAS “GET ME MAD” ON CHANNEL ONE LABEL IN 1982, IT IS CONSIDERED AS MY BREAK OUT SONG BOTH HOME AND ABROAD. I’VE DONE COUNTLESS OTHERS LIKE “MINI VAN, TROD ALONG, KING ON THE WAY, FEELING IRIE, MY GIRLFRIEND MANY SONGS MAN IS 10 ALBUMS I HAVE.
10. Which events have you performed on locally/internationally? LOCALLY WE WERE THE FIRST ARTISTS TO EVER PERFORM AT THE EVENT THEY NOW CALL STING. BACK THEN IT WAS THE 4 SOUND CLASH. THEN WE WENT ON TO PERFORM AT MANY STREET DANCES AND CLASHES ALL OVER JAMAICA. I’VE ALSO PERFORMED IN ST LUCIA AND AM CURRENTLY ON MY FIRST EVER TOUR IN SOUTH AMERICA (BRASIL, ARGENTINA, CHILE, URUGUAY, ETC.) TO PROMOTE MY LATEST ALBUM “DANCEHALL GENERAL”
Excerpt of a track from the album – Purpleman’s collaboration with Baby Demus and Eeka Mouse:
11. Which artistes have you done collaborations with? TULLO T, EEKA MOUSE, GLEN RICKS, JOHNNY OSBOURNE, BLACKA DEMUS, BABY DEMUS AND RUDE CREATION OUT OF CALIFORNIA.
12. Which other artistes would you like to collaborate with? DOESN’T MATTER TO ME AS LONG AS ITS CONSCIOUS LYRICS AND WE CAN HOLD A VIBE, I REALLY HAVE NO PREFERENCES.
13. How do you balance your music career with other obligations, such as job, family, etc? THERE IS NO SPECIAL WAY I DO IT. MUSIC IS FIRST AND THEN EVERYTHING ELSE JUST FALL INTO PLACE AFTER AND ALL THE FAMILY UNDERSTAND THAT..MUSIC IS MY ONLY JOB SO ITS EASY TO BALANCE.
14. What are some of the challenges you are faced with in the entertainment industry? AS A OLD SCHOOL RUB A DUB ARTIST WHO KEEPS IT CONSCIOUS THERE IS NOT MUCH APPRECIATION IN JAMAICA SO I DON’T GET MUCH AIRPLAY OR FEATURES, BUT I DON’T MIND BECAUSE MY FANS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD MESSAGE ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA DAILY AND SHOW MUCH LOVE, AND BUY MY ALBUMS SO I JUST TAKE IT AS IT COMES..NO MAN IS A KING IN HIS OWN LAND THEY SAY.
15. If there was a time before you were discovered that you felt frustrated, what was the thing/s that uplifted you or “got you over the hump” and ultimately led to your career’s success? MY FANS YOU KNOW, EVERYTIME I GET FRUSTRATED AND WANT TO QUIT THE FANS COME AND SHOW ME LOVE AND BEG ME NEVER GIVE UP…THEY SAY MY MUSIC IS WHAT UPLIFT THEM IN THEIR DOWN TIME SO I CANT GIVE UP ON JAH WORKS.
16. What can fans expect from you now that you are back? JUST NICENESS AND LOTS OF VIBE, CONSCIOUS MUSIC WITH A POSITIVE MESSAGE ALWAYS NO SLACKNESS OR DISRESPECT THE WOMAN AND DEM THINGS.
Give thanks to Purpleman and his team for taking the time out to share parts of his musical journey with us…JAH GUIDE!!
For more information and updates about Purpleman:
Facebook ( Purpleman Jones )
SoundCloud ( Purpleman Jones )
Twitter ( @purpleman110 )
Youtube ( Purpleman Jones )